Home > Uncategorized > I’m Fat

I’m Fat

This isn’t a post about self-pity, or even a “fishing” expedition. This is me, putting the truth to paper, or screen as it were.

Those of you who know me know that I have had a life-long struggle with my weight. I reached my peak weight my senior year in college. I have no idea what I weighed because I never set foot (or feet) on a scale. I assume it was around 220 lbs.

Immediately upon graduation I embarked on a weight-loss regimen. And boy was it successful. I was already noticeably thinner at my father’s marriage just a month later. I remember all the people coming up to me telling me how great I looked.

SN: Where are those people when someone is gaining weight? Seriously, our society would be a lot less fat if people would just be honest with one another. Take that as an invitation friends. You see me getting fatter EVER AGAIN, slap me upside my face and let me know.

Okay, rant over.

So, there I was losing weight like an animal. I got all the way down to 157 lbs. But I did it all the wrong way. I basically starved myself, worked out very little and didn’t give myself the tools necessary for long-term weight loss.

I have a vivid recollection of going out for Monday Night Football with some friends and a bunch of people I had never met. It was right after I had hit 157 lbs and I was feeling really good. So good that I gorged myself on every bit of fried deliciousness that menu had to offer. After dinner, my buddy Chris came up to me and told me one of the guys who had never met me before was shocked that I could eat like that and be so thin. Ha! Boy did I have him fooled. Except, the only person I was fooling was myself.

Slowly over the next few months and years I put the weight back on. Not all of it mind you, but a lot of it. I got back up to 190 lbs. That was when my then girlfriend (now wife) and I decided we were going to lose weight. And boy did we ever. Plus, we did it the right way: Exercising a ton, eating well, still indulging from time to time. It was awesome.

Then I went away to Rochester in the fall of 2008 to work on a campaign. Being away from my partner and my gym I fell back into my old bad habits. There was this awesome Italian deli right near our campaign headquarters and I would order every horrible thing they had on that menu. Ziti with meatballs, check! Ungodly large Italian-mixed subs, check! Chicken parm sandwiches with extra cheese, check! And I would eat every last ounce of them.

I put on enough weight that when I came home my same buddy Chris took one look at me and said “dude, you put on weight huh?” All I could do was sheepishly laugh and agree.

And that was it. Ever since then I’ve been slowly packing on the lbs, and occasionally taking them off,  to the point that I now must be damn near where I was back in college. I wouldn’t know because again I don’t weigh myself (horrible, I know).

But that changes today. And I’m going to share the result with all of you. As of now, June 1st, 2012 I weigh 205 lbs.

So, why am I telling you all of this? Because I am weak. I have proven to myself time and time again that I can’t do this on my own. I need people to know what I’m doing, I need the motivation.

And that’s where you all come in. I’m not asking you to slap a burger out of my hand if you see me noshing on one, but you can feel free to steal the bun. I’m not asking you to take the beer out of my grasp if I happen to imbibe, but feel free to pour it on me when I reach for number two. I’m not asking you to never go out to dinner with me, but please remind me to get a to-go container and package up half of it right away. Most of all, I’m just asking you guys to look out for your fat, bald, and short buddy. I need it.

Thanks in advance for taking this journey with me.

Love,

Zack

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. June 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm | #1

What a great post – and so honest. I’m rooting for you as you embark on this journey toward a healthy life. I think as many of us are approaching and passing this milestone age into adulthood and taking on more responsibility in work and family, we’re recognizing that our lives are delicate. One of the best things we can do is to treat our bodies well. Cheers! I’ll be reading!

• June 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm | #2

Thanks Bridge. I’m nothing if not honest. I hear congrats are in order! Wonderful news. The few pics I saw are amazing.

2. laura
    June 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm | #3

way to go zack!!!! good luck. i myself just baught insanity this morning

3. Sheila
    June 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm | #4

Awwww Zack!!!!! Awesome of you to put yourself out there :) I’m with ya! I still have 30 more to go if you ever wanna work out some time or get together and NOT eat cheese fries LOL love you and this post! you got this!!!!

4. Kathleen
    June 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm | #5

You can do anything.

5. Casey
    June 1, 2012 at 9:23 pm | #6

I feel you, Zack. At least you hit your peak in high school, I’m pretty sure I’m heavier now than ever. I recently (as in Tuesday) also made the same commitment to get healthier- we an track our progress together!

6. Melissa
    June 2, 2012 at 5:51 pm | #7

Hey Son in Law…gosh I love how that sounds. Two things. First I appreciate the shout out. Second I am in the same situation. It is a life long battle, and constant reminder that you need to be accountable to what we decide to eat or not eat, as well as taking the time to work out or not work out. Katie and I almost talked ourselves out of the race today. We joked about taking the cookies and bagging the race. Both tired from our long weeks, lack of sleep etc. We decided to at least to walk it since neither of us has been to the gym in more than 2 weeks. That is really unusual for me and it has really been bothering me. So off we go. Then one of us I think Kate says maybe we should at least run up the hill, okay yeah lets do it. Then we decided to do a run walk the entire race and if we still felt good we would run the last mile. So we did. And the last mile was a pretty strong pace. Not bad for two girls that wanted to drop out. I forgot how good it felt to run to move to be inspired. I recall at my heaviest i could not run from one stop sign to the next. Katie and I felt great and were so happy we made that decsision. I am in this with you. But only if you offer me the same in return. I need some help too as I am struggling. I love to eat, hard habits are hard to break….you can do it. I will do it with you!!!. Then you and our family can go do the Adirondak Extreme…..I loved doing that. And want the challenge again. I made it through all courses once and want to challenge myself again. Are you in????

7. Kevin
    August 5, 2012 at 11:37 am | #8

I don’t know you, Zack, but I stumbled on your blog and was in the same boat. I’m 6’3″, 33 years old, and was 270 pounds on January 2 of this year. I decided to give Weight Watchers a try, based on the Charles Barkley commercials (seriously). As I write to you today, I’m down to 191 pounds without doing much in the way of exercise. You are right that exercise helps the weight loss, but the simple fact is this: you need to take in less calories than you burn over the course of a day. If you do this, you lose weight.

You may want to think about giving Weight Watchers a shot – they teach you how to make the right choices, all while eating the same foods you do now. They have a smartphone app that lets you track everything on the phone. Good luck in your endeavors!

8. Kate
    August 9, 2012 at 8:47 am | #9

Hello? June first where have you been with this blog???

9. April 8, 2013 at 5:55 am | #10

I really wanted to make a small remark so as to thank you for the unique items you are posting at this website. My incredibly long internet research has now been honored with professional content to talk about with my best friends. I ‘d tell you that many of us site visitors are very blessed to exist in a remarkable network with very many special people with good methods. I feel extremely grateful to have discovered your webpage and look forward to tons of more pleasurable times reading here. Thanks again for a lot of things.

10. April 17, 2013 at 4:54 pm | #11

just found your site- any updates on the weight loss?

1. No trackbacks yet.